Alder Springs Mission
Provide and sustain a safe and secure independent-living apartment community that simplifies daily living and meets the unique social, emotional, and lifestyle needs of the deaf, deaf/blind, blind, and hard of hearing and enriches the education experience of NC School for the Deaf (NCSD) students.
- Affordable, comfortable safe community of peers - deaf, deaf/blind, blind and hard of hearing
- Secure, easily navigated and communication friendly environment
- Easy access to commercial, healthcare, and professional/support services
- Compassionate, responsive management and ownership
Alder Springs Objectives
- Simple, independent living (assistance of private support services allowed)
- Integration into vibrant local and regional deaf and blind populations
- Service and volunteer opportunities at NC School for the Deaf
- Access to abundant personal learning and growth opportunities
- Supervised work experience opportunities for deaf students
- Financially self-sustaining operations (rent payments, grants, private donations)
- No government funding
Note: Alder Springs does not offer on-site health care facilities or food service.
North Carolina School for the Deaf at Morganton Foundation, Inc. (NCSDF)
Alder Springs is owned and operated by NCSDF, an independent, non-profit corporation established in 1991 with a mission to enhance the educational experience of NC School for the Deaf students including workplace experience, scholarships, and emergency financial assistance.
- A portion of annual Alder Springs revenues supports the NCSDF mission.
- NCSDF and Alder Springs are not state agencies and do not receive state or federal money.
- A volunteer, self-sustaining, board of directors (up to 21 members) governs NCSDF.
Alder Springs Deaf & Blind Community, LLC
Doing business as Alder Springs Deaf and Blind Community, LLC - a nonprofit subsidiary of NCSD at Morganton Foundation, Alder Springs' mission is to provide and sustain a safe and secure independent-living apartment community that simplifies daily living and meets the unique social, emotional, and lifestyle needs of the deaf, deaf/blind, blind, and hard of hearing, and enriches the education experience of NC School for the Deaf (NCSD) students.
Financial information for NCSDF and Alder Springs available upon request.
Alder Springs Management
Alder Springs is an integrated part of NCSDF and is managed by its own volunteer Board of Directors
Current Alder Springs Board of Directors
- Johnny Greene, Automobile dealer
- Sandy Turner, Retired NCSD educator and coach
- Sam Avery, Non profit consultant
- Barbara Palmento, Retired NCSD educator
- Scott Whisnant, Retired attorney
- Ashley Ambrose, Banker
- Chris Brittain
- Liz Beach, Realtor
- Trula L. Baker, Interpreter
- Andrea Totty, Customer Service Chair
- Jerry Norvell, Commercial developer